Trending: Gamifying In the Workplace
Of course games have a place in the workplace and no, it is not the ‘office politics’ or ‘power play’ kind of games either. It is the trend of gamifying in the workplace that is seeing massive popularity.
Gamification techniques strive to leverage people’s natural desires for socializing, learning, mastery, competition, achievement, status, self-expression, altruism, or closure. Early gamification strategies use rewards for players who accomplish desired tasks or competition to engage players. Types of rewards include points, achievement badges or levels, the filling of a progress bar, or providing the user with virtual currency. Making the rewards for accomplishing tasks visible to other players or providing leader boards are ways of encouraging players to compete. Due to potentially problematic consequences of competition, which can result in unethical behavior, low cooperation and low collaboration, or disadvantaging certain player demographics such as women, current gamification designs try to refrain from using this element.
The gamification of learning is an educational approach to motivate students to learn by using video game design and game elements in learning environments. The goal is to maximize enjoyment and engagement through capturing the interest of learners and inspiring them to continue learning. Gamification, broadly defined, is the process of defining the elements which comprise games that make those games, fun and motivate players to continue playing, and using those same elements in a non-game context to influence behavior.
What is gamifying?
Think of a company applying the principles of game design techniques and the concept of gamification to:
- Get employees to perform better.
- Encourage better customer loyalty.
- Reward loyal customers in many different ways.
- Market their products more intensively.
- Boost metrics that can improve business operations in many different ways.
Think of how sports brands rewards customers with points or gifts for achieving and maintaining a certain active lifestyle or physical routine and you know how gamification works.
Why is it so popular?
As a trend in the workplace, gamification is rather popular and strong because it is all about using intrinsic motivators to get people and employees to perform better. Gamification is also about data that can be generated and then used to improve metrics and performance in sales, training, and collaboration and so on.
Gamification is all about allowing employees the chance to compete against each other and treat it as a game. There are leaders, achievers and people who can boast about a certain level or status that has been achieved. While digital signage can certainly help in this connection, you can take it one step beyond and employ:
- Modern channels based network television that can help you create customized channels for each department or team.
- Link it to mobile devices that will constantly update employees with push notifications.
- Immediate or real time updates on how each member or team is performing.
- The culture of winning and collaboration across the organization.
When choosing a product or service that helps you in deploying gamification in your organization, you should look at how easy and intuitive the admin interface is. This will enable you to:
- Set up the television network rather easily.
- Define users, metrics and leaderboards.
- Customize channels as per need.
- Broadcast multiple types of content including motivational content to everybody in the organization.
- Automate the updating process which can be linked with Excel sheets, for instance, that will result in the automatic adjustments of the Leaderboard whenever a member does well.
- Choose the way a winner is announced – music, gongs and so on.
Even the process of instituting gamification in your business organization is an extremely interesting one with high quality equipment and software.
Simon is a renowned author and social media enthusiasm. Websites like Hoopla help you with the much required metrics.